Attn: Newsgroup users.
Mark A. Boyd
2009-04-03 21:32:49 UTC
[XPOST to m.d.l and m.d.b]

forums.macromedia.com has less than an 30 minutes in this world :(

ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system maintenance
starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on
Monday April 6, 2009.

http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/

They have stated that they're not going to use NNTP in the near future.
--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
Ziggi

Sean Wilson
2009-04-03 23:32:06 UTC
That's a real pity. 'Bye all...
LOOPING_Richard
2009-04-04 02:07:44 UTC
Post by Mark A. Boyd
[XPOST to m.d.l and m.d.b]
forums.macromedia.com has less than an 30 minutes in this world :(
ANNOUNCEMENT: Forums will be unavailable for planned system
maintenance
starting at 3pm PST on April 3, 2009. New forums will be online on
Monday April 6, 2009.
http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/
They have stated that they're not going to use NNTP in the near future.
Oh thats bad!
I was expecting it though... :(

The forums is not my thing, so.. bye all.

Richard
Mike Blaustein
2009-04-04 12:03:28 UTC
Boo! I hate forums, oh well... it was fun while it lasted.
WOMP
2009-04-04 13:05:42 UTC
What is NNTP?
--
Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
159-00 Riverside Drive West
New York, New York 10032
(212) 928-9581
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
Mike Blaustein
2009-04-04 13:17:04 UTC
Post by WOMP
What is NNTP?
NNTP is the newsgroup protocol which lets you read/write to these forums
through a newsreader. For example, Thunderbird, the email program I
use, has a newsreader built in, so these forums have, for the past many
years, all come right into my email. Makes it real easy to read and
reply. With a forum, you need to log in, deal with annoying avatars and
try to follow all the interesting threads. It is so much easier to just
get them in email and deal with them as I see fit.
Mark A. Boyd
2009-04-04 17:52:47 UTC
WOMP posted in macromedia.director.lingo
Post by WOMP
What is NNTP?
Craig! You didn't really ask that question, did you? :-0
Since you're using MSOE, your hands are dipping in it now.

Network News Transfer Protocol. One of many Internet protocols, such as
HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), File Tranfer Protocol (FTP), Simple
Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Gopher, and many others.

Out of respect for your voice talent (among other talents), I will not
hit you with a lmgtfy.com link >-)

You might like this one, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_protocols
--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
WOMP
2009-04-04 22:16:09 UTC
It sounds like this is a term I should have known about. Oh well, my
ignorance is out in the open now. But thanks for the explanation and the
link.

Craig
--
Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
159-00 Riverside Drive West
New York, New York 10032
(212) 928-9581
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
Mark A. Boyd
2009-04-05 00:40:09 UTC
Post by WOMP
It sounds like this is a term I should have known about.
Nah. Old dinosaurs like me, from the ARPANET era, get that way
sometimes. We're gasping for our last breaths while the HTTP asteroid
is crashing down on us.
Post by WOMP
Oh well,
my ignorance is out in the open now. But thanks for the
explanation and the link.
I hope I didn't come across too strongly. It was meant to be humorous,
but I HAVE been absent from here for a while.
--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
WOMP
2009-04-05 15:23:54 UTC
No offense taken, I was just responding with my own self-depricating sense
of humor. Of course, I might be the only one who sees the word ignorant not
as stupid but having no knowledge of something, as in ignoring it. So I
don't use that in a derogatory way.

Thanks Mark.
--
Craig S. Wollman

Word of Mouth Productions
159-00 Riverside Drive West
New York, New York 10032
(212) 928-9581
Keep-On-Learnin' :)
Mark A. Boyd
2009-04-05 18:00:45 UTC
Post by WOMP
No offense taken, I was just responding with my own
self-depricating sense of humor. Of course, I might be the only
one who sees the word ignorant not as stupid but having no
knowledge of something, as in ignoring it.
That is exactly how I use the term - well, not necessarily ignoring,
but simply unknowing or unaware of the knowledge. The main purpose of
my .sigfile is for ME to read it, since I am forced to see it every
time I post to newsgroups.

Stupid does exist, but ignorant is not stupid.

I HAVE occasionally used lmgtfy.com link on people, though ;)
--
Mark A. Boyd
Keep-On-Learnin' :)