Setting base dir
artost
2009-03-18 14:30:10 UTC
I have some educational flash games for windows (legally bought), that I would
like for my daughter to be able to use on her OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)`,
which is Linux based.

After some further research and experimentation, I have gotten a bit closer to
running the games.

It turns out that the exe is a projector (made with Director), and all it does
is run a dxr file in a subdirectory. I can open this file directly in the flash
player, but it is only the initial menu from which you can choose the various
activities.

The problem is that when you select an activity, you get an error like 'Unable
to find file: "\SUBDIR\ACTIVITY"'.

The subdirs from the activities are on the same level as the subdir with the
menu. So I have tried making a stub movie that just runs the menu, and starting
it from the root dir (same as the original projector). I runs the menu just
fine, but it still gives the same error for activities.

Is there any way that I can set the base dir in Lingo?
UdoGre
2009-03-18 16:10:36 UTC
You might want to look here: http://director-online.com/forums/read.php?2,37236
Sounds like a pretty similar problem.
artost
2009-03-18 17:00:50 UTC
It is the same posting :-) I posted on both forums to get a wider range of answers.
Andrew Morton
2009-03-18 17:15:23 UTC
Post by artost
I have some educational flash games for windows (legally bought),
that I would like for my daughter to be able to use on her OLPC (One
Laptop Per Child)`, which is Linux based.
Have you tried running it under WINE?
http://www.winehq.org/

Andrew
artost
2009-03-18 18:57:26 UTC
Post by Andrew Morton
Have you tried running it under WINE?
Yes, it works. But when running from the projector it needs the CD in the
drive, and the OLPC does not have a CD drive :-( That is why the only solution
seems to be running the dxr directly.
Andrew Morton
2009-03-19 09:01:17 UTC
Post by artost
Post by Andrew Morton
Have you tried running it under WINE?
Yes, it works. But when running from the projector it needs the CD in
the drive, and the OLPC does not have a CD drive :-( That is why the
only solution seems to be running the dxr directly.
Perhaps you could create an ISO file of the CD (transerring it with a USB
stick) and use something like MagicDisc
(http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm) to mount it
under WINE.

Andrew
artost
2009-03-19 18:43:07 UTC
Post by Andrew Morton
Perhaps you could create an ISO file of the CD (transerring it with
USB stick) and use something like MagicDisc to mount it under WINE.
That might work, but it would probably consume far to many resouces on such a
low powered machine as the OLPC.

It also seems a bit like overkill when the only problem seems to be a bit of
an issue with understanding the paths (when calling dxr's in other folders).
jonnno
2009-03-19 20:40:22 UTC
instead of wine you could always create a virtual winos guest using virtualbox
or something (;assuming the m/c is not total legacy;). -u might say *overkill*
for just this issue maybe but there will probably be others..